What Is Email Filtering?
Email filtering is the process of allowing software to categorize incoming messages based on their content. Email filtering also applies to outgoing messages from a specific server to ensure that the content sent from a business address is appropriate. Email filters protect the user from sending or receiving spam and malicious content or from leaking sensitive information.
Email filtering can be deployed through an on-premises solution or a cloud-based service. A cloud-based email filter is a better option for remote working or dedicated because it allows for filtering no matter where the user is. For workers situated in a traditional office setting, an on-premises solution maybe all the business needs.
How Does Email Filtering Work?
Email filtering evaluates whether a message is safe to be passed through to an inbox based on its content. Email filters use various methods to categorize messages, including:
- Spam filters that look for common trigger words that indicate spam messages
- Reputation-based filters that analyze a sender’s reputation
- Checking addresses against a safelist to see if they can be sent to the inbox
- Checking addresses against a blocklist to see if they need to be sent to the spam folder
- Anti-virus software that protects against viruses using both signature-based and non-signature-based technology
- Content analysis that analyzes the words, links, and images included in a message to see if it’s safe and relevant; this is often used to identify words or phrases that the user does or doesn’t want to see
- Checking to see if the recipient has opted-in to messages from the sender
What Can Email Filtering Tools Help You With?
- Anti-Spam – Preventing spam emails from being sent in your name and keeping spam out of your inbox
- Inbound Email Filtering – protecting your users from outside attacks by cybercriminals, including phishing scams, malware, ransomware, and more
- Outbound Email Filtering – maintaining your sender reputation by ensuring that the email content sent under your name is free of malicious content or spam and catching any hacked accounts before sensitive data is leaked
- Increasing Productivity – automating your email filtering process saves your team from wasting time weeding through emails
- Improving Email Deliverability Rates – If you use email filtering for outbound emails, your deliverability rates will increase because you’re monitoring the content coming from your account